Home Forums pH Forum Strength Deficit Strength Standards

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Corey Hobbs
    Participant

One thing I’ve been thinking about since the seminar is strength standards. It makes sense that SD is an advanced tool we might use to find a little extra water to wring from a wet towel. So, what are your ideas on when someone is strong enough? Training age is going to play a big role of course. Get the most out of those “newbie” gains as possible. But what was/is the trigger that athlete X was ready to get on the SD program?

Timothy Caron
    Keymaster

I think the Progression Module is a really good one for this in our Training Course.

But the idea is less about training accumen, if you think about it certain performance standards with exercises like clean, squat, deadlift are arbitrary and conditionally dependent on that exercise. Im sure some might disagree with me saying that being able to squat 500 is arbitrary, but that has so many variables associated with it such as technique, anthropometrics, exposure, equipment it diminishes the potential transfer or being used as indicator of what else to do.

I think the point of using CMJ vs NCMJ is to remove the limited nature of exercise performance to more clearly defined characteristics. It also prioritizes Correspondence to sport skill.

To directly answer your question what triggers using using strength deficit model, to me its training age (>3years). At that point we already maximized training potential with a more traditional program. We understand their bandwidth to train from a psychological and physiological standpoint. And lastly they are at the final phase of development to peak for their sport – or the SPP phase.

Great question

Corey Hobbs
    Participant

I’ll dive into that module now!

That makes sense. I was actually thinking back to my time in high school. I was always strong in the traditional sense, but after reaching a certain threshold, I kept getting beat up trying to get heavier and heavier. It never translated to the field either. I definitely could have used an approach like this to chase a specific adaptation that would have translated a little bit better to athletics. I want to make sure I’m not falling into that same trap of just chasing strength at the expense of everything else while at the same time not just doing it to do it if that makes sense, and I think being able to have those CMJ/NCMJ numbers will help keep me honest for sure.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.